Ten Top Tips To Avoid Electrical Fires In Your Home

Every day we use electricity, whether it’s to charge our phones, watch TV or wash our clothes, almost everything we use runs on electricity but some people disregard the dangers that are associated with it.

Every year, almost half of all domestic fires in the UK are caused by electricity, and this figure doesn’t seem to be changing. Fires are normally caused by misuse of appliances, poor regulation of the electrical safety checks and faulty appliances. Even something so simple such as using a cheaper phone charger can potentially increase the danger of electrical hazards in your household or workplace.

Even housework can be seen as unsafe as five fires a day in the UK are caused by white goods such as tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers. You must know how to use your appliances properly to ensure that you are completely safe within your home when using them.

How you can stay safe when using electrical appliances:

  • Any appliances should be bought from a retailer you can trust and ensure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions when you’re installing, using and maintaining your appliance.
  • Never leave your washers, tumble dryers or dishwashers on overnight or whilst you are out.
  • If your appliance begins to make a strange noise, don’t ignore it. If you think that something may be wrong with your appliance, unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified technician who will be able to advise you on the best options.
  • Ensure that you don’t overload your washing machine or tumble dryers, you can take the bigger items you have to the dry cleaners.
  • Try to do regular checks on your plugs and sockets for any potential burn marks, sounds, fuses blown, circuit-breakers tipping or if it feels too hot; if so turn off the appliance and follow the steps mentioned previously.
  • Ensure that your fridge and/or freezer isn’t near something warm such as cookers or radiators as it means that it will have to work harder to maintain a cooler temperature internally.
  • Clean the oven and hob regularly to ensure that there’s not a build-up of food debris such as fat as this is a potential fire hazard.
  • Clean your fridge and freezer regularly to reduce the dust build-up, and further allow space behind the appliance to allow for the air to circulate correctly.
  • Only use your microwave for food! Follow the instructions given on the packets to ensure that no issues arise. Packages clearly state whether or not the product is microwave safe.
  • Register your appliances as it allows the manufacturer to contact you if there’s a problem. You can register your appliances here.

By following the above, you can reduce the risk of an electrical issue in your household dramatically!

Contact Us

0845 021 3207
Croft Myl, West Parade, Halifax, HX1 2EQ
George Street, Edinburgh, West Lothian, EH2 3ES